Choosing the right golf ball for a beginner is as important as choosing the right golf clubs. if you find the right ball it can add many yards of distance to your game.
Their are many types of golf balls some soft some hard. Players have different swing speeds that can effect the flight of the ball. So you could hit two different types of ball with the same club, and they would act differently.
In a rush, check out our top 3 picks…
#1. Srixon Distance Golf Balls, Soft White
Srixon are a popular golf ball used by beginners and intermediate players alike. They’re low priced, but great quality, which makes them ideal golf ball if you lose a few around the golf course. Check Price On Amazon
#2. Bridgestone Golf e12 Soft Golf Balls
You’ll find these golf balls where ever they land. The bright green colored ball is easy to find which makes this an ideal golf ball for anyone just starting to play golf. They’re a good price too. Check Price On Amazon
Most golfers will have a preference over time of the type of golf ball that they are most happy with. Of course as a beginner the chances are you’re going to lose more balls than you find. So cost will also be a factor when choosing the right ball.
Some golfers will just play with any golf balls that come to hand. This is OK for saving money, but its not going to help their game.
The price of golf balls can vary greatly and it can be a dilemma to choose the best one, but once you’ve made that choice it’s best to keep to that brand of ball.
Golf ball buying guide…
1. Srixon Distance Golf Balls, Soft White
Srixon are a popular golf ball used by beginner and intermediate players alike. The Srixon Distance Golf Balls, Soft White is ideal for distance, and you can afford to lose a few of these as they are one of the cheapest balls on the market.
You still get a quality ball. The 2-piece constructed balls have less dimples than most balls, which means less drag through the air, and more distance.
Some of the more expensive golf balls have 3, 4 and 5 layers. The cover is designed to resist cuts and damage, giving them a longer lifespan.
If you’re looking for a ball that comes of the club face with high velocity and low spin then Srixon soft low compression ball will certainly give you the distance you need with beginner golf clubs.
- Initially, I’d planned to use these Srixon’s as practice balls. However, once I’d hit one, I was surprised that it had a pretty good feel.
- A great value ball thats perfect for beginners and seniors alike.
- For the money, I doubt you will find a better ball.
2. Callaway Golf Supersoft Golf Balls
If you’ve played golf for a short amount of time or watched any golf tournaments on TV, then you would probably have heard of the name Callaway. Phil Mickelson one of the all time greats has been an ambassador for Callaway for many years.
Callaway Supersoft Golf Balls are a quality ball, but are priced at the low end, giving beginners and high handicappers the opportunity to play with a Callaway ball. The Callaway is super soft which aids ball flight.
The ultra low compression of the balls make them ping off your golf club. Low compression softer balls also help you control your shots around the green, as you can feel the softer ball through the club face.
- These balls have a great soft feel as you would expect from Callaway golf balls
- Excellent golf ball very soft and worked best in soft conditions because of the low spin, durability is also excellent.
- I don’t think these can be beaten, at this price point.
3. TaylorMade Distance Plus Golf Balls
Another brand associated with some of the top golfers is TaylorMade. They been producing golf equipment for the likes of Tiger Woods, and Rickie Fowler for years.
Their entry level golf ball is again aimed at the beginner who is looking to get distance.
This balls give you the extra distance you’re looking for by designing the ball to have low drag when flying through the air, they achieve this by giving the golf ball a thin cover.
This aids the velocity when you strike the ball. The two piece construction is less than more expensive golf balls but does not effect their performance.
If you need to see where your ball is lying on the course then you can the TaylorMade distance plus golf balls in bright yellow.
- Great ball if you want straight and low without a lot of spin. Should give you an extra 10 yards.
- If you are just playing for fun, this is a great ball.
- For the price ( under $20) I have no complaints, great for your short game and on the greens.
4. TaylorMade Noodle Long & Soft Golf Balls
Another Titleist makes the list. We’ve included these balls after reading lots of positive reviews from beginners and senior golfers.
The TaylorMade Noodle Long & Soft Golf Balls not only has a strange name but they also have a patented dimple design for less drag and more distance.
They give you increased spin around the green which helps with those delicate chips to the hole and iron shots into the green.
They are one of the cheaper balls available and give you good value, so you won’t mind losing a few around the course.
- Great golf balls for cheap. If you’re an average golfer just looking to go out and have some fun on the course.
- If you have not played these balls yet, you need to try them
- Good distance and feel at a reasonable price. Buy these all the time, perfect for my golf game, good price.
5. Titleist Pro V1 Golf Balls
If you’re feeling confident about your game, and your hitting the ball straight, and don’t lose too many balls Then you maybe ready to step up to a top quality ball.
The Titleist Pro V1 Golf Balls are made for intermediate and pro golfers. We’ve included the Titleist Pro V1 Golf Balls, as they will give you the longest distance of any balls in this list.
These golf balls are not cheap and they can make a dent in your budget. However, if you’re feeling good about your game and you can afford to spend a few more dollars, then I’d give them a trial.
- ProV1 is far and away the number 1 golf ball on the planet.
- Expensive, but probably the best golf ball you can buy, just don’t lose many!
- These are my husbands favorite golf balls
6. Bridgestone Golf e12 Soft Golf Balls
The Bridgestone are a popular brand amongst golfers and you won’t miss them on or off the fairway. The bright green golf balls are distinguishable, but that’s no gimmick.
These are serious golf balls. These mid-priced golf balls are high performance. They’re super soft to give you the feel off the club face. The 3-piece balls are well balanced, so you won’t go too far off your line.
The delta wing dimple pattern of the balls reduces drag and the soft interior gives you maximum power and flight. These balls will launch of your club at high velocity even for high handicappers with slow swing speed.
For the lady golfer the Bridgestone 2019 e6 Lady Golf Balls are available in pink.
- The e12 seems to give me a little more distance and drives straight.
- Seems to have a medium feel and touch. Compared to the extra soft version I generally hit
- The yellow balls are easy to see in the air, on the fairway and in the rough!
7. 2020 Callaway Chrome Soft Golf Balls
The Callaway Chrome Soft Golf Balls are a new golf ball that offer the beginner distance with their new technology. The Soft fast core of the golf ball is graphene infused!
Graphene is a super strong material that is used in products like body armour. The material is super strong, but light which makes it ideal for a golf ball.
The thin reinforced graphene layer gives the golf ball a longer life, and makes for better durability. This does not effect the performance of the ball in fact the balls resilient cover increases ball speed.
- Great ball, they look good as well as play well
- Super ball, they have given me extra yards and pretty good around the greens.
- More expensive than my usual ball, but they are worth the extra.
8. Wilson Staff F.L.I. Golf Balls
One of the cheaper golf balls available, and ideal for a beginner. The Wilson Staff F.L.I. Golf Balls have a cut proof lonomer cover, and good distance for a cheaper golf ball.
At this price you can afford to lose some of these. They are good for practicing or on the course.
The price doesn’t detract from the quality of the ball. They offer great value and give you the distance any beginner would be looking for.
- My golf game saw no marked improvement or erosion as a result of these super low priced balls.
- You will lose some of course but this makes losing some new balls a lot less upsetting.
- Bought this ball to find an alternative to the expensive balls I had been playing and was pleasantly surprised!
9. TaylorMade TP5x Golf Balls
Want to play like the top pros, you could use a golf ball used by Ricky Fowler, Dustin Johnson, Jason Day, Rory Mcllroy. The TaylorMade TP5x Golf Balls are used on the PGA tour.
OK! your game is your game, and using a pro golf ball is not going to drastically reduce your score.
Using the best ball possible however, will give you those extra yards of distance, not matter your skill level, and to be honest these balls are not expensive. So you could see how good your game is by trying them out.
- The only thing for me was that they added 10 yards to all my clubs
- A friend handed me one of these balls a few weeks ago and I was amazed how good it felt all around the course.
- If you are a mid to low handicapper there is no doubt a better ball is worth the investment.
10. Callaway Player Mix 48 Recycled Golf Balls
Want a branded golf ball without the cost, then these Callaway balls are a great cheap alternative. The Callaway Player Mix give you 48 recycled balls from all over the country.
These balls are cosmetically challenged but they work for a beginner, and if you’re in the early days of playing golf then these will suit you.
Some people mentioned that the balls were a mix of Callaway brands and and few others including Taylormade, but at this price they are worth a gamble.
Don’t worry about losing these balls at less than 50 cents a ball, losing them won’t give you sleepless nights.
You’re going to get a mix of quality, but that’s not the point, these are great for a beginner and you should get plenty of use from them.
- The balls looked to be in great condition and I love them and so does my husband
- Overall a good purchase, would buy again, 48 ball received in total.
- You get what you pay for! That being said, there are scuffs on most balls but nothing too severe.
11. Nitro Ultimate Distance Golf Ball
The Nitro golf ultimate distance golf ball is a wildcard in our list. These balls are illegal, but you won’t be going to jail. The USGA have yet to accept these golf balls on their conforming list.
The 2-piece titanium core transfers the maximum energy from club to ball, with an explosive distance off any club. The ball has a cut proof cover to make this a long hitting, and long life golf ball.
Lots of golfers have commented how much more distance they get with the Nitro ball. It’s certainly built for distance, but you won’t get the spin you will find in other balls in this list.
The bright orange balls are easy to find if your lying off the fairway, so make them great for the beginner golfer. Get a dozen of these balls and you’ll be knocking off a few shots from your scorecard.
- These balls are great for beginners and high handicappers who always lose a few balls.
- A great ball for anyone who plays a handicap. Good feel off the tee. Actually not a whole lot of spin for a cheap ball.
- These balls fly off the tee, for the price you can’t beat the Nitro.
Should I use the same ball all the time?
The simple answer is YES! using the same ball will give you the consistency, the same as playing with the same clubs. Hitting the same ball will give you consistency.
When striking the golf ball you will get to know it’s characteristics and how the ball will travel through the air.
Using a mixed bag of golf balls will mix up your game. For instance, If one day you play off the tee with one ball, and the next play the same tee with a different brand of golf ball, you won’t have the same confidence that the ball will travel the same distance. This will leave you second guessing every time you take a shot.
Golf balls have different characteristics, and can act differently some will fly further or spin differently, they may feel soft or hard when you strike them.
By using different balls each time you are making the game harder for yourself. Soft golf balls are designed to help the beginner gain more distance with less power. Harder balls are designed for big hitters who have more power in their swing.
So know we’ve decided that playing with one type of ball is the best way to improve your game, let’s take a look at what choices we have.
What are golf balls made of?
Golf balls all look the same, but the technology behind them makes them very different.
For a beginner, you probably don’t want to spend too much on your first set of golf balls, the chances are you won’t end the round with as many as you started with.
As you improve, and hitting the fairways consistently, then you may want to consider buying higher quality balls. Getting those extra few yards around each hole is going to bring your scoring down.
Beginners tend to have slower swing speeds, so you’re going to need all the help you can to get the ball down the fairway.
A super soft ball is going to give you those extra yards. A softer ball will fly straighter and longer than a firm ball.
A basic golf ball will have a 1-piece layer made of a soft single core and a thin layer. They are great for a beginner and ideal to practice with.
You won’t get the distance you would get with a better quality ball, but losing them around the golf course won’t be as costly.
The better quality balls have 2 ,3 ,4 or 5 layers covering the ball. A 2-piece ball will have a rubber core and thin outer layer.
A 3-piece will include an extra wall of rubber and be covered by a better quality outer layer.
A 4-piece ball is aimed at the more advanced player, this will have 3 layers of rubber and supeior outer layer.
Pros like Tiger Woods & Phil Mickelson will play with a 5-piece ball, 4 rubber layers and a premium outer layer covering the ball.
Buying golf balls maybe the last piece of equipment on the mind of a beginner.
Many golfers will just pick any new or old golf balls to play with. As the list shows there’s a wide range of golf balls to choose from, some will give you distance others will be better around the greens.
For the beginner it’s important to pick what is best for you, that could be price or performance. Whichever you choose, try and stick to the same ball, and you should improve your game consistently.